The Dockside Tavern is owned and operated by the Gunn Group of Companies, a 100% Family Owned South Australian Company.
The Original Hotel licence was granted to Richard Trott in 1850, for what appears to be an earlier two-storey building on this site. (An 1886 map shows this early building with balconies). The Brittania Hotel was opened on the 3rd October 1850. Richard Trott also owned the Sportman Hotel in Byron Place, Adelaide (now closed). Due to rising river levels, The Brittania was rebuilt in 1898 and re-opened c1890s and is one of the few late Victorian buildings in Port Adelaide.
During the era of 6 o'clock closing, in the rush to leave the pub, men used to grab the nearest bike parked outside and cycle home - irrespective whether it belonged to them or not. This quirky practice stopped when these laws were changed in 1976 with the introduction of 10 o'clock closing for hotels in South Australia.
Over the years, the bar tops had been covered twice by laminated veneer, including an imitation marble look. In 1997 it was restored, removing the veneer and lead-based paint, to reveal the original solid timber counter with the top reputed to be made of huon pine.
The Brittania was renamed the "Dockside Tavern" in 2002. It is now heritage listed by the State Trust.
Several harmless ghosts reside at the pub and have been sighted playing pool by the manager, staff and patrons from time to time.